Eating the Alphabet: Fruits and Vegetables from A to Z by Louis Ehlert
After reading this book we are going to the local international market to spot all the fruits and veggies from A-Z!
Alphabet City by Stephen T. Johnson
Caldecott Award. I'm going to have my 4 year old spot the letters on this book and trace them with his finger. Great photos. Great book concept.
Dr. Seuss ABC
we couldn't do an alphabet week without reading this one, right? ;-)
Chicka, chicka, Boom! Boom!
Another favorite at our home. Meet "skinned-knee D", "loose tooth T"
Curious George ABC's
Great little book for any Curious George lover. Many familiar characters, including "K is for a kangaroo named Katy" from Katy No-Pocket (BFIAR title).
Alphabet Book from the Usborne Farmyard Tales series
We love the Farmyard Tales and this one is great for learning additional words that start with each letter.
L is for Loving by Ken Wilson Max
I found this title at our library and can't wait to share it with the boys. It has an emotion or feeling for each letter of the alphabet, all describing situations very common with preschoolers.
- Making Letters with playdough
- Draw letters with fingers on finger paint
- Cards & Magnets Matching Game:
I took pictures from an alphabet(preschool) workbook and taped them to index cards. I made lots of cards and placed them in a ziploc bag along with a set of magnet letters. The boys will take turn picking a card and finding the magnet letter that indicates the beginning sound and place them on the refrigerator. Here's a sample.....
Other Fun Stuff
- Starfall.com learn letters, sounds and games online.
- Signing Time- ABC Signs We love Signing Time and this video is one of our favorites.
- Preschool Express check out their "Alphabet Station" for LOTS of ABC ideas and printouts.
- Letter of the Week free online curriculum using books, games, poems and more for each letter of the alphabet.
- Homeschoolshare has a great unit study for Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom.