Pages

October 28, 2007

Biblical convictions vs. Personal Convictions

2 Timothy 3:14 "Continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."

On Wednesday mornings I attend an excellent Biblical Study on Parenting (check it out here) at church and our topic for the past few week has been on Biblical Convictions and Personal convictions and their importance at home.

I wanted to share some notes from the class here because they've given me new insight about our family values and the courage to be clear about why we want to home educate.

It's difficult for me sometimes to share why we want to homeschool our kids. This topic seems to create all kinds of feelings in people. ;-) So, I try not to bring up the topic unless someone inquires. But even when asked I find myself giving different reasons for homeschooling...but why??....Is it because I don't want to be judged? Is it because I don't want to hear another person telling me I will ruin my kids forever? Is it because I don't want to offend anyone with my reply? Who am I trying to please? Am I looking for everyone to agree with me?

I've come to understand that if this is something that we truly believe in and have been convicted about for our family, then I must share it with all honesty...in love and grace.

SO...back to the title of this post....

Biblical Conviction: God given truth, through His Word that stand no matter how I feel about it or think of it or do about it. Some examples would be...
  • Forgive others
  • Pray without ceasing
  • Be thankful, don't complain.
  • Train your children in God's way
  • Share the Gospel

Personal Conviction: How we choose to carry out those biblical convictions with standards that will unify our family. Some examples...

  • Dating after turning 18
  • Rest from TV on Sundays
  • No watching R-rated movies
  • Listen only to Christian music
  • Homeschooling through 8th grade
We believe homeschooling our kids is a personal conviction that we've chosen to be part of our family. We don't believe homeschooling is the only way to educate children...but we do believe is a GREAT choice, especially for christian households.

We do not believe homeschooling is perfect...there are many challenges and sacrifices that come with it...just as there are many challenges that come with sending your kids to public school. BUT we believe by faith that the blessings and rewards of a home education will be far more than those challenges.

I have A LOT to say about this topic. So I will be sharing in the days to come our passion for homeschooling.

Feel free to leave your comments....with gracious words. ;-)

2 comments:

Dana said...

Those are very important distinctions and I think our churches would know more peace if we all were able to see the difference.

Elinette said...

Thank you Dana. This was such a freeing realization for me and in all honestly I had to admit my judment of others who would not see things they way I thought they should be.

We so easily elevate those personal matters and make them non-negotiables.