Pages

November 19, 2008

Angus Lost Fun

Last week we read Angus Lost by Marjorie Flack as an add-on to our month long focus on prayer and thanksgiving.

On Friday I decided to suprise the boys with a "cave" where they could play and pretend to be like Angus during the snowstorm. This idea is from the Before Five in a Row manual but I have never used it before. Since I thought about doing this the last minute, here's what I did...

I took a dark bed sheet and covered the bottom bunk-bed with it. Inside I added "stalagmites" made out of play-doh, printouts of a bat and a salamander, a stuffed dog and a stuffed bear. I gave each boy a flashlight and asked them to look inside the cave and see what they could find.

I wish I could have taken a video of their reaction. They couldn't stop giggling!! They thought it was so fun. Afterwards, Caleb thought it would be a good idea to play "bear hunt" (from another BFIAR story) and they spent the next 30 minutes taking turns being the bear and the "hunter".

In the meantime...I got some food ready for all us and washed dishes.

Not bad for a last minute planned activity, right?? To me this was just a great reminder that fun learning can happen sometimes with little preparation and without expensive curriculum.

Here's some pictures of our "cave". It was much darker than it looks here (because of the camera flash) and also by the time of the picture, Noah had managed to pull down more stalagmites but you'll get the idea. ;-)





1 comment:

Amy said...

Looks like so much fun!!