Pages

November 04, 2008

Notes on Election Day

I love election days!! Part of it must be that I grew up in a home where politics was a favorite hobby. :-)

So I've purposely kept my blog away from any posts regarding this year's election because sometimes I know I can get carried away!!

But one thing I am very convicted of is for our need to pray for the president. I was blessed to pray for our current president for the past 8 years and look forward to do the same for the new president...regardless of the outcome.

Even when I feel very strongly about who I am voting for, after today, my commitment is to pray for the leader of our nation. Both men professed to know Jesus as their Savior so more reason to pray for God to be revealed in their lives in a real way; for protection, for direction, for wisdom, for integrity, etc.

I hear so many brothers and sisters in Christ, being heavy burdened and in fear of what is to come or the future of our nation. I share in their sadness when I see how our nation has gone so far from the Lord. But I cannot join on how their safety is in the amount of money in their banks or stocks. Their biggest fear is their future in regards to finances ("the big economy issue").

And yet, shouldn't we be confident in our Lord no matter our present circumstances? What is the wisdom that comes from the Lord and not from the secular world around us?? Proverbs 30:8-9 "Give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God".

What about other promises in scriptures where Jesus asked us not to be anxious...that our Father knows what we need...and Paul reminds that He will supply what we need?

Our hope is in the LORD alone and like Proverbs 21:1 says "The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will". God knows the outcome of this election and He has promised to be with us always....I choose to take comfort on that! :-)

3 comments:

the reynolds said...

Thanks for the reminder and the encouragememt. Starting the day out reading Psalms definitely keeps the day's events in proper perspective too.

Gail in Ohio

Amy said...

Great reminder and a wonderful post! God is in control :-)

Heather said...

Wonderful post Ely and I am right there with you 100% on this and this has been my heart for this whole election. No matter the outcome, tomorrow we have a new president and we need to pray for him no matter if we agree with him or not! Thank you for sharing your heart! ;)