Pages

April 28, 2010

A Legacy of Truth

This week I had the honor to sing at a memorial service for a family in our church. It was great blessing to me to hear the children of this father who went with the Lord speak of their love for their dad and what they will remember most about him.

I couldn't help but thank God for father's who take their responsibility of being there for their kids very seriously.

I couldn't help to also praise God for my husband and the wonderful dad he is to our children. He works hard to provide for our family and comes home very tired but he still takes the time to play sports with the boys, ride bikes with them, include them in the yard work, hear their stories, hold them accountable with their schooling (I love this part! hehe) and just being silly with them.

When I think about their future and what they will remember most about their dad, I pray they will remember most how they saw Christ in his life. I think there is no greater legacy we can leave our children than them seeing how we lived our faith sincerely.
1 Timothy 1:5 says:
"The goal of our instruction is love that flows from a pure heart, and a good conscience, and a sincere faith."
We pray this can be said of us as we bring up our children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

I think Brad is a great example to our family and to others around him of this. He not only loves God and His Word but he is on fire for it and seeks to live authentic faith in all areas. He is always quick to admit when he is wrong, to seek forgiveness, to ask for accountability, to be obendient to God's Word.

He started having a consistent Bible time with the boys a few years ago, and it's amazing how the Lord is working in all of our lives by being faithful in doing this. We've seen the living Word of God convict our children of their need for him and even when they are still young, they are growing to love scriptures and look forward to this very special time with dad.


One thing that we love to do with the boys is to have them use scripture we just read as a focus point in their prayers as well as seeing what we can learn from God's attributes on each passage. This has been so good, not just for them but for us too! I'm planning on blogging more about how we do this in the future.


Psalm 119:97
"O, how I love your law! it is my meditation all the day."

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Great post, Ely. Very inspiring.