Pages

November 15, 2010

Corps of Re-Discovery (TOS Crew Review)

As part of my year with the TOS Homeschool Crew,
I received a Tomahawk Craft Kit from Corps of Re-Discovery.
This company prepares and sells ready to use project kits for children to enhance their learning about Frontiersman, Pioneer American and American Indians. Their goal is to provide a way for children to "re-discover" their country's heritage using these hands-on packs.
I love these kits because many times when studying history I have instructions on how to make a certain item of clothing or tool from that period but I don't like having to go around looking for the supplies. This company makes it easier for parents to make memorable educational projects.
You can learn more about this company at their website Corps of Re-Discovery.
Our Tomahawk kit was such a big hit with our boys that I had to go online and order a second kit so each of them could have one!
Their service was very fast. My order was shipped on the same day. We will definitely purchase more kits from them in the future.
The kit comes with step by step instructions and illustrations on how to make the tomahawk. It also includes some information about their history and how it was used. Besides the coloring medium you choose for decorating your tomahawks, all other materials are included. The instructions recommend to use oil based paint or markers for coloring. We chose coloring markers.


Here are the boys at work on their designs. It was fun to see how they thought of a different way to decorate them. The rod is made of wood and the "blade" and cord are leather. When it was time to attach the blade both of my boys needed help. I would say an 8 year old and up could work this kit completely on their own.

And here is the final project!!!
One thing I would say, with little kids, you might want to stress "how" they are to use this tomahawk. I explain to the boys this is not meant to be a toy but a "school craft" instead. They know that we do pretend play with them but we have to treat them gently. We don't bang them against the floor or our brother's head! :) If treated that way it should last for a long time.
Also, you can't see it in the picture but it comes so your child can hang it on a wall in their room.
This kit sells for $5.50 and it includes all you need to make one tomahawk.
You can also purchased 10 for $40.00
It comes on two color choices: black or tan.
To purchase this and other great kits go here.
Also don't forget to check out the TOS Homeschool Crew blog to see what projects other families made!

Disclaimer: I received this kit free of charge for the purpose of trying and writing an honest review. No other compensation was given.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sheri said...

This was my son's favorite one to do. He painted his and it came out nice too. Ours is of the lighter leather-I love the black ones! Hmms, I see a stocking stuffer there. :0)
Nice review!

Erika Simone said...

Hi!

I'm completely new to your blog but I'm here because of an almost-shared name: my blog is called "Thy Wonderful Works" based on Psalm 40:5. One of my friends stumbled onto yours while looking for mine, so I decided to check it out. Interestingly enough, my family is also a homeschooling one. We're missionaries in Mexico and have lived here for more than 10 years now. Anyway, I'll be dropping by again! Nice to "meet you"!

Elinette said...

Thanks Sheri. And Erika thanks for stopping by!