Pages

February 11, 2011

The Curiosity Files (TOS Review)

As part of the TOS Homeschool Crew, I received a copy of the new learning series "The Curiosity Files" by The Old Schoolhouse. This is a series of unit studies for the 8-13 year old range that provides an opportunity to learn in depth about a specific animal and or wonder of nature, while integrating a variety of subjects.

The units are in a pdf format which I love because I get to print what I need for each day.
There are 9 units published so far and we got a chance to study all about "Quicksand".



With this unit we talked about the physics of quicksand...is it a liquid? or a solid? This was a fascinating starting point for the boys. We tried great experiments that covered surface tension, vicocity and even made our own quicksand goo!
For geography we covered and labeled in maps the places where quicksand can form. We also had fun with sand art.
This unit also gave us many conversation topics from what to do if we get stuck in quicksand to why is quicksand a good analogy for our spiritual life and how it is used throughout the Bible.
Everything is beautiful laid out and illustrated and many great printouts are included as well. There are also list of books and online links to enhance the learning and lapbook booklets to record what they learned. This is definitely a study you can use for multiple children at multiple levels.
If you want to learn more about this series visit the Old Schoolhouse Store. There you can see all the titles available and even take a peek inside each unit.
The price for Quicksand and the other Curiosity Files Units is only $6.95!! That is a very reasonable price considering all that you get and all the fun you will have using this unit.
To read what other families are saying about "The Curiosity Files" visit the TOS Homeschool Crew Blog.
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this product free of charge for the purpose of using at home and writing an honest review. No other compensation was received.
**NOTE: I have great pictures of our fun and learning with this unit but I'm having difficulty with photo uploads. I will add pictures as soon as I can solve this...help is on the way!

2 comments:

Marcy said...

I've awarded you with the Stylish Blogger Award! Come check it out on my blog: http://www.benandme.net/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award.html

blessings,
Marcy

Very Blessed Mamma said...

We did the Puffer Fish, and we loved it!
I am stopping by from the Blog Walk.
I am behind, and am now catching up.

I am now following you.

I would love a follow back.

http://trainingchildrenupforchrist.blogspot.com/