Pages

June 21, 2011

Curriculum Choices: History

If you've follow my blog for some time now, you know we love unit studies and have used many wonderful resources to teach the boys this way.

Primarily we've used Five in a Row. The boys did 2 years of Before Five in a Row and just a few months ago we completed Volume 3 of Five in a Row! It sounds silly but for me is the completion of a wonderful journey since FIAR was our boys' first introduction to learning through books. And I can't wait to introduce Sarah to all the great stories and learning activities that FIAR offers.

We are going to wait to use Volume 4 until Noah is a little older and in the meantime, we are switching to a different curriculum for our core learning.......

SONLIGHT!

We will start Sonlight in September with Core B. We are only doing their History, Readers and Read Aloud (the basic Core). Core B is an Introduction to World History from Creation to the Fall of Rome. It also includes Geography, missionary stories, Bible reading and memorization, timeline activities and stories to read aloud. I also ordered the 3rd grade readers for Caleb and one add-on music and art appreciation.

I first heard of Sonlight when Caleb was 3 years old and I was searching online for curriculum. At the time it appealed to me but felt I didn't want to spend that money for preschool. :) So we did Five in A Row instead since I could find most of those book at the library. But for some reason, from time to time I requested a Sonlight catalog and loved many of the book selections they made. I knew one day we would have to try this curriculum.

I value good literature for our children so I'm looking forward to the many read alouds we will do together and the great books Caleb will be reading on his own as well.

This is a big change for me as a teacher too. I enjoy creating lesson plans for our boys and putting things together for us to do and enjoy. It takes more preparation time but it's proven to be rewarding for me and the boys. Sonlight's has a teacher's guide with the weekly lessons completely laid out for you. I know it will take time for me to get used to but this will allow me to have time to prepare fun things for Sarah's "tot school".

Tomorrow I will share pictures from our first "Box Day".

No comments: